Paris’ Louvre Museum closed on Sunday after thieves broke in and made off with several pieces of “priceless” jewelry, according to a senior official.
Speaking to France Inter radio, French interior minister Laurent Nuñez said the thieves had gained access to the museum’s Galerie d’Apollon on Sunday morning, using a truck with a lift and an angle grinder to breach a window.
They then targeted a number of display cases before making their escape on motor scooters, he said.
“They stole jewelry that I won’t list, as I believe there is a criminal investigation underway, but which is jewelry that has real heritage value and is actually priceless,” he continued, adding that the heist lasted around seven minutes in total.
In a post on X, culture minister Rachida Dati said no injuries had been reported and that she was at the scene with museum teams and police.
This is a developing story.
